I know after reading the post title you are very excited to know more, even I was excited too to know more for this topic which I like very much.
Microsoft Introduced Performance Dashboard Utility reports which help us in finding the cause of low performance of our SQL Server Database.
You can download the performance Dashboard utility reports setup from below link
When you install this installer you will find a new folder is created with Performance Dashboard name in tools folder of Microsoft SQL SERVER (“C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\PerformanceDashboard”)
Now when you open this folder you will get many RDL files.
Next question is how to use it so here we go.
1) Firstly run the script with name “setup.sql “ from Performance Dashboard folder (“C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\PerformanceDashboard”)
Great it means you are able to see performance dashboard report.
The performance dashboard report gives you following result
1) First graph of report shows System CPU utilization (With the help of this you can find how much CPU utilization done by SQL)
2) Just Below the CPU utilization graph you can see current Activity (CPU consumption time, wait time) We can see detail with two parameter either by User Session or User request (When you click on the header of the grid you will get different report)
3) Below this we have miscellaneous information which will give basic information like number of database currently on server, active trace etc.
4) Waiting log just right side of CPU utilization graph which shows different wait type for SQL
5) Below that one more tabular grid there which shows historical records of SQL according to different criteria like waits, IO Statics
6) Expensive SQL report with different parameters like BY CPU, BY Duration, BY Logical Reads, BY Logical Writes etc.
Checks out there are many more feature reports.
So with these different reports we can find where we are lacking. Where is the problem?
My personal feeling is the utility is good to finding the performance counter but it will not provide any suggestion and solution to improve performance.
So why are you waiting?
Just download and enjoy the performance dashboard.
Have fun with reports in weekends: D.
Thanks & Regards